AAT Access Award In Business Skills
An access award training course is an ideal first step for school and college leavers, or anyone returning to work or considering a career change. This great value Association Of Accounting Technicians (AAT) accredited course will help you develop entry level accounting skills and gain an understanding of how they are used in business.
This course will equip you with a range of practical skills that you can take forward in to a new career as an accountant, but this business skills training can also benefit business owners, and those moving into more senior roles in-house that involve finance.
What Accounting Practices Does This Course Cover?
AAT Access Award In Business Skills will introduce you to key terminology and documentation involved in accounting tasks. You’ll become familiar with expenses, assets, liabilities, profit and loss accounts, and balance sheets as you complete the nine modules included in this course. The collection of study material, professional examples, and practice questions will help you prepare for the AAT exam, which you can book after completing the course.
Why Invest In A Business Skills Course?
An accounting role is often more diverse than you might expect, and could involve working for or with a wide range of business sectors. Job prospects could be working in a finance department of a business, book keeping for a start-up company, or joining an accounting firm. This training is designed to give you a solid grounding in accounting principles, but also prepare you for business environments and the world of work.
There are no entry requirements for this course, although you need to register with AAT within two weeks of starting so that you can benefit from additional resources and the option for further study.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
Work your way through nine modules to gain an understanding of key accounting principles, terminology, and business documentation.
Module 1 - Basic Accounting Terminology.
- Gain an understanding of assets, liabilities, income and expenditure.
- Learn how to identify examples of income, expenditure, assets and liabilities.
- Look at the financial terms linked to sale and purchase of goods, including cash and credit sales.
- Become familiar with cash and credit transactions.
- Define and understand profit and loss.
- Look in detail at gross profit and net profit.
Module 2 – Understanding the Use of Business Documents.
- Look at the different types of documents used when businesses buy and sell on credit.
- Become familiar with when and how the documents are prepared.
- Examine examples of purchase orders, delivery notes, invoices and credit notes.
- Look into statement of account documentation.
Module 3 – Recording Business Transactions
- A look at how buyers and sellers can record business transactions.
- Examine examples of the sale day book and return day book (for seller).
- Get to grips with the cash book for bank receipts (for seller).
- A look at a buyers purchase returns day book and cash book for bank payments.
Module 4 – Processing Receipts and Payments
- Look at cheque payments, cash receipts and payments, and the petty cash book.
- Examine examples of petty cash vouchers and cash receipts listings.
Module 5 – Coding and Batch Control
- Learn more about coding, and how it’s used to identify documents in business records.
- Examine numerical and alphabetic coding examples.
- Look at a mix of alpha and numeric coding.
- Look at how a batch control system is used to post sales and purchase documents to accounting systems.
Module 6 – The Profit and Loss Account
- Look at profit and loss accounts in more detail.
- Learn the terminology and document layout used.
- Examine examples of profit and loss accounts, and identify the different sections.
Module 7 – Mathematics for Accounting
- Look at key maths skills you’ll have to apply in an accounting role.
- Learn how to calculate the ratio and proportion of two numbers.
- Look at percentages, fractions, and whole numbers.
Module 8 – Accounting in a Professional Environment.
- Look further at the role of financial departments in any business.
- Find out more about ethics and professional behaviour in the accounting sector.
- Gain an understanding of the legal framework which businesses operate in.
- How you can achieve as an accountant and develop efficient work practices.
- Look at private and public sector businesses and charities.
- Find out how accounting professionals work in these different business types.
- Tips on applying for accounting jobs in the future.
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- A well-structured and easy to follow modular course.
- Learn the importance of accurate sales and purchase records.
- Become familiar with the set-up of a typical business environment.
- Take quizzes at the end of each module to test what you’ve learned.
- The opportunity for further study in bookkeeping or accounting.
- A mix of theory and practical examples covering all basic accounting principles.
- Flexible online learning you can pick up wherever you are.
- An excellent choice of course for employees and business owners to develop business accountancy skills.
- Benefit from the additional revision material and exam practice on the AAT website.
- A choice of AAT accredited exam centres where you can book an exam after the course (not included).
- Gain practical tips on applying for accounting jobs and the opportunities available.
- Basic Accounting Terminology
- Understand the use of Business Documents
- Definition of Payment Terms
- Recording Business Transactions in the Books of Prime Entry
- Recognise and prepare documents to process Receipts & Payments
- Coding and Batch Control
- The Profit & Loss Account
- Mathematics for Accounting
- Accounting in a Professional Environment
- Be Able to apply for a Job
- Creating Business Documents
|AAT Fees||£131 for UK students (£121 for International students)||
Not included, must be paid to AAT. Fees cover:
|Exam fees||£70-80 per exam (fees may vary slightly depending on test centre)||Not included, fee to be paid to AAT Approved assessment venue.
These fees will vary depending on the training provider or assessment venue. Check whether these are included in your overall training provider fees.
|AAT Access Award in Business Skills|
|1 gigahertz (GHz)|
|Internet Explorer 8 or above
Safari 6 or above